Ranger Cookies


I adapted this recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I was looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe that I could add dark chocolate and shredded coconut to. I think any "add-ins" can be used (nuts, dried fruits, chocolate, etc) totaling 2 or 3 cups to keep the dough's consistency right.

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 c flour (I used my home-ground wheat flour)
1 c rolled oats (I used a 9-grain mix)
1 c shredded coconut
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c dark chocolate chips (I used Dove's single origin chips)

Preheat oven to 375. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; beat until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour. If you don't think your mixer can handle it (my 6-qt Kitchenaid does just fine) use a wooden spoon to stir in coconut, cranberries, and chocolate chips (or whatever add-ins you're using).

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 32 cookies.
And of course, the cutest taste-tester/helpers ever: