Skewerless Chicken Satay

I tried a recipe this week that reminded me so much of the Thai dish, Chicken Satay. It's a very "dumbed down" version, which is great because I had everything on-hand without any special trips to the store. I haven't actually made the full recipe yet, just the sauce, but it is so tasty (and all I need to do is add the stir-fried chicken) that I'm positive I'll be making it again! I made a couple of changes based on Lily's distaste of spicy foods, but you could easily turn up the heat by using more red curry paste (or just add sriracha sauce to your own bowl). The only thing I disliked about this recipe is the leftover can of coconut milk! Guess I'll make a quick shake out of it to tide me over until dinner in 3 hours.

SAUCE:
1/2 C coconut milk
1/2 C nut butter (I used almond butter which added a nice texture)
1 T red curry paste
1 T lime juice (or one lime)
1 T coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
1 T fish sauce
2 t almond oil (I didn't have toasted sesame, or I'd use that)
1 T brown sugar (or honey if you prefer no sugar)
dash of cinnamon
dash of ground black pepper

CHICKEN:
1 t coconut oil
1/2 C onion, thinly sliced (cuz I'm lazy, you could chop them)
2 cloves garlic, sliced (again, you could chop them finer)
2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks

In a medium bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. I use a fork, because it's easier to clean than a whisk, but whatever works for you. Taste, adjust as desired.

In a skillet or wok, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until soft. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked all the way through (about 10 minutes). Add sauce to chicken, stir until heated.

You could serve this with fresh cooked green beans or asparagus for extra yumminess. They'd taste well dipped in the sauce too. If you like to eat your chicken with rice, go for it! This would be tasty with rice. Just start cooking the rice before you do any other prep so it can be finished by the time your chicken is done (unless you use minute rice).

No comments: