French Onion Soup

This week we got some beautiful, sweet onions in our CSA basket. I wasn't sure what to do with them, until Mike mentioned french onion soup last night. Today it was actually cool enough outside (82 degrees) that I was willing to turn on the stove. I adapted my recipe from Tyler Florence and used ingredients that we have on hand (we never buy beef stock because it always has carmel coloring, which Mike is allergic to - but I did have my own homemade ham and chicken stock). Of course, make substitutions that make sense for your family and tastes!
1/4 c butter
2 onions, slice
1 clove garlic, chopped
dash of salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
dash of cinnamon
1/2 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cups ham stock
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
french bread, sliced
4 oz Gruyere, sliced or shredded

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and spices, and cook until the onions are very soft and translucent. Add the apple juice, and stock and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until you think the flavors have combined. While it's simmering, cover your slices of bread with the cheese and either toast in a toaster oven or broil in your oven. Serve with the bread floating in a bowl of soup, or just on the side (I don't like the sogginess of *real* french onion soup, so that's how I do it).

No comments: